Maximising revenue is the aim of every business, whether your "business" is a store, school, P&C, or charity.
So why do we make it so hard for parents to SPEND?!
1. SQUARE READER:
This is the easiest and (in our opinion) cheapest way to process sales, and track your stock, too!
Donna from School Uniform Shop and P&C: Resources and Community Group says: "It’s saved so much of my volunteer time trying to follow up payment and trying to reconcile the bank account. It gives me a report everyday to what needs to be banked in cash and I hit one button for payment reminders.
Also: no handwritten receipts! The receipt is sent via text or email".
Just connect it to a phone via bluetooth, activate your internet connection, and you're ready to take those sales.
- Where from? Choose the Contactless and Chip Reader and you'll be supplied with everything you need to get going. It's about $59 and available to buy online from www.squareup.com/au with free delivery - otherwise check out Officeworks or Harvey Norman. (Prices and availablility correct at publish date).
- Sonia from School Uniform Shop and P&C: Resources and Community Group also recommends getting the $39 charging base: "It’s not “needed”, but it saves charging the tap and go and you always know where it is".
- Top Tip: mention you are from a P&C, and they may be able to reduce the price for you. You can only ask!
- Square have a really great referral system: if you register your reader via the referral link, both you and the referee receive $1000 in fee-free processing*.
- Issues for P&Cs: You can register with the referral code, but you do need to contact Square via phone if you are a P&C (you'll get a message similar to "we can not support your organisation at this time). You then submit meeting minutes with Point-Of-Sale approval, as well as President and Treasurer signatures. It can take about 3 weeks from start to finish.
- Share the love: Why not share your referral code on your P&C Facebook page? For parents with businesses/clubs/charities that take you up on the offer, you both receive fee-free processing. Otherwise, the fees are fairly standard for an electronic payment system.
- It's as simple as setting up your email address (e.g. the P&C address) and then asking parents to log in to their PayPal app, and pay to your email address.
- Paypal have also set up quick payment links for your account, so you can email a direct payment request to your customer, and they can pay immediately.
- You may need to review whether your organisation qualifies for the personal (fee-free) or business (fee paid) rates.
- The best bit about PayPal is that it's instant, and you'll receive a notification saying the payment has processed immediately!
Don't forget to tell parents
When you're ready to start accepting electronic payments, let your customers know! Its as simple as saying: "we now accept cash and cards" when you're promoting your event.
I know for me, that when I attend the next school event (or market, or charity event), I'm unlikely to have cash, and will be more inclined to spend if I don't have to stop and think before I pay!
Pay it forward: Get $1000 fee-free processing
If you'd like a referral code to activate the fee-free processing on Square, join the group and check out this post for a list of school P&C's referral codes! It's the perfect way to #PayItForward
For more great tips on treating your Uniform Shop or P&C as the business it is, head on over to our Facebook Group to join in the conversation.
This is not a sponsored post, we just love using Square at school and at work. They may change their fee-free promotion at any time, so check out their website for details.